Sunday, August 12, 2012

Cuenca Living

When we were making all of our plans for this trip, I was continually trying to remind myself that we were going to a third world country and to keep my expectations low.  How high-minded and very North American of me!  There were very few times in Ecuador when I felt like I was visiting a third world country.  However, there were plenty of times where I did not feel nor did I miss the overt materialistic pressures of the States.  Life here was simply...simple.  The families are closer which in turn makes the congregations closer.  Our experiences in Ecuador definitely changed our view regarding the definition of life's necessities.

Granted, life is no picnic for our brothers and sisters that live in Ecuador off of standard Ecuadorian wages.  The average monthly income is about $240 a month for full-time employment.  But for those who migrate or retire there off of income from other countries a simple lifestyle is very doable and rewarding.










This house in a gated community rents for $350 a month.  She pays about $30 total in utilities.

This is a typical Ecuadorian lunch called almuerzos.  You get a bowl of soup, a rice dish w/wo beans, meat and a salada, small dessert and glass of fresh fruit juice.  The costs ranges from $2-4 per person.





Here's another example of an almuerzos.

No comments:

Post a Comment